The elusive Josef Beuys
- Beuys thought art important for energising society and reconciliation with nature – we are inter-connected with all
- He was a mysterious self mythologising artist, his use of the anti-art materials lard and felt he said originated from when he was in the Luftwaffe, shot down and nursed in these materials
- For this performance Beuys flew to New York, was covered in felt taken by ambulance from the Airport to the New York gallery
- For most of the eight hours a day over three days locked in with the coyote he remained hidden beneath his felt blanket. Not much happened
- The coyote is a sacred animal in native American mythology
- This coyote was actually half-wolf, half-husky
- The coyote was indifferent to the artistic allegory.